Guidelines for Presenting at Photonics North 2022 Conference
IMPORTANT: To ensure the proper execution of this hybrid conference, please pay special attention to the instructions below. If you have any questions or difficulties following the guidelines, please contact the PN 2022 Secretariat (email@example.com) who will be happy to help.
HOW WILL THE CONFERENCE WORK?
The conference will take place in Niagara Falls at the Niagara Falls Convention Centre, and the virtual counterpart will be delivered over the Zoom platform. It will be managed by an experienced technical team. The conference platform will offer all the in-person sessions content to the virtual attendees, who will be able to use online features such as text-based chat and a Q&A box for live questions to presenters.
All virtual registered attendees will attend the conference events and navigate between the technical sessions by entering a virtual room via the online program (a link will be sent a few days before the event).
All onsite presentations, Plenary, Keynote, Invited and Contributed Oral presentations, will be presented live from the Conference Centre as scheduled in the online conference program. Speakers will be present for their entire session to answer questions and participate in any discussions with onsite and virtual attendees.
Poster presentations will occur in person at the Conference Centre as scheduled in the conference program. The authors will also have the option to submit a 5-minute video for virtual attendees, which will be available at any time in the online conference program.
Short oral virtual presentations and poster virtual presentations must be pre-recorded and will be available at any time in the online conference program. Attendees will have the option to click on the authors’ names to email any comments or questions if the author has accepted the networking option.
All registered virtual attendees can attend all technical sessions and switch from one session to another at will. Virtual participants access the session of their choice by entering a virtual Zoom room via a hyperlink in the online program.
A chairperson will moderate each session. Virtual participants will be able to use a Q&A box to ask questions during the presentations. The session’s chairperson will then select questions from people onsite and from virtual attendees, depending on the time allocated for the discussion, and will read them to the presenter, who will be able to answer verbally during the session.
All sessions will be fully recorded for post-conference streaming. All registered attendees will be able to revisit the sessions and catch up on the presentations that they have missed for up to three months after the event. We automatically assume that presenters accept that their recorded presentation will be made available to participants for post-conference streaming on the PN 2022 Conference virtual platform. In case of refusal, presenters must notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 20, 2022.
PREPARING YOUR PRESENTATION
Onsite Oral presentations
All Contributed Oral presentations will be 15 minutes total, including 3 minutes for questions.
All Invited Session Oral presentations will be 25 minutes total, including 5 minutes for questions.
All Keynote Session Oral presentations will be 35 minutes total, including 5 minutes for questions.
We recommend that presentations be in a WIDESCREEN format as it is the optimized format, but other options will be accepted. To take full advantage of the widescreen format, we recommend that you build or convert your presentation to 16:9. We recommend using Microsoft Office PowerPoint for your presentation.
Speaker Ready Room (Registration Desk)
All speakers are required to check in at the Speaker Ready Room (Special Desk in the Registration Area) to upload their presentation at least 1 hour before the start of their session. The Speaker Ready Room will be open from May 24 to 26, and the staff will be available to answer your questions and help you upload your presentation from your USB memory stick.
If your presentation includes video files, further to uploading it at the Speaker Ready Room, please use a health or lunch break at least 30 minutes before the start of your session to go to the session room where your lecture will take place to make sure that it will run smoothly on the conference computers.
Important Note for Macintosh Users
In order to use MAC presentations on a PC compatible computer, please note that you need to prepare it according to the instructions below, before bringing it to the Speaker Ready Room:
- Use a common font, such as Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana, etc. (special fonts might be changed to a default font on a PowerPoint based PC)
- Insert pictures as JPG files (and not TIF, PNG or PICT - these images will not be visible on a PowerPoint based PC)
- Use a common movie format, such as AVI, MPG and WMV (MOV files from QuickTime will not be visible on a PowerPoint based PC)
- You may use your own Macintosh laptop computer as a back-up. In such a case, please make sure to provide a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (Dongle). Please visit the
- Speaker Ready Room to check your presentation and advise the staff of your intent to use your own laptop.
- Please arrive at the session room at least 30 minutes prior to the start of your session to plug in your laptop and check your presentation on the projection system.
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Onsite Poster Presentation
The PN 2022 conference poster sessions will be held in the Exhibition Hall.
Poster sessions provide an opportunity for informal, interactive presentations and discussions.
Each presenting author will receive a schedule and a poster code by e-mail. Each author will have access to 1/2 side of a poster board, and each will have a useable area measuring 40" (102 cm) high and 36" (91 cm) wide. Poster materials should not extend outside the assigned area. A label indicating your number will be placed on the top of your board space.
Allocate the top of the poster for the title and authors as stated on the submitted abstract. Simple "Introduction" and "Conclusion" sections are helpful. When feasible, use graphs for depicting qualitative relationships and tables for precise numerical values. Technical equipment will be available for the mounting of posters.
Presenters are required to be at their posters during the scheduled session.
Presenters are responsible for the setting up and the removal of their posters according to the schedule:
Setup: Tuesday, May 24 between 10 am and 2 pm.
Removal: Thursday, May 26, from 1 pm after the lunch break to 3 pm.
Posters not removed by that time will be discarded. The PN 2022 Conference cannot accept liability for lost or damaged posters.
Short Virtual Oral and Virtual Poster Presentation format
The duration of the pre-recorded presentations must be strictly observed.
- Short oral virtual presentation: The time allocated to each virtual oral presentation speaker is a pre-recorded video of up to 10 minutes without questions time.
- Virtual Poster presentation: The time allocated to each virtual poster presentation speaker is a pre-recorded video of 5 minutes. This is optional for poster presenters accepted for onsite presentation, but it is strongly recommended to allow virtual attendees to learn more about your work.
Registered attendees will have access to your email address (upon your acceptance) and will contact you for any questions about your presentation.
For the pre-recorded presentation, you will have to record yourself narrating a digital version of your presentation. You are free to choose the style of presentation you want, you can decide to record only your slides, yourself, or both.
You can use the software or application of your choice to pre-record your presentation. Different tools are available to assist you and enhance your presentation, please find some suggestions below:
- Zoom (Step-by-step guide)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (Instruction video)
- Prezi (Instruction for a video)
Accepted formats are: .wmv, .mp4 or .mov
The following formats are NOT accepted: .ppsx, .pptx, .ppt, .pps
We ask that you submit your recorded video no later than Friday, May 13, 2022.
When you are ready to upload your presentation to our server, please follow these instructions:
- Record video file (please remember to use the abstract reference number to rename your video).
- Accepted formats are: .wmv, .mp4 or .mov
- The following formats are NOT accepted: .ppsx, .pptx, .ppt, .pps
- To upload your video to our server, you have to access your submitted abstract with the codes you have received in the confirmation email or in other follow-up emails by Conferium, the PN logistics firm.
- Once you have logged in to your file, click on « Upload your video » (the button on the top menu bar), and follow the steps.
- At the end of the process, please do not forget to click on the "Finalize" button to validate your entry or your modifications.